On this page folks can browse some of the best brown rice cooker models we have gathered. Currently, most are Zojirushi rice cookers that are known throughout the industry to cook brown rice perfectly. However, there are other brands mentioned worth checking out also.
(list subject to change as updates & new units become available)
- Zojirushi NP-HTC10 – This 5.5 cup capacity rice cooker is probably one of the best for cooking brown rice and offers two settings for doing so.Users have the option to select regular brown rice, or select and activate “GABA” brown rice which will make the rice come out with a greater texture, taste great, and above all be one of the healthiest brown rice dishes offered by an electric cooker. But we have just a few words before jumping into this model.
When selecting the regular setting for brown the unit usually takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to complete the process (which is normal time with such units). But when selecting the “GABA” setting, the rice cooker soaks the rice an additional 2 hours before the actual cooking begins.
This means folks will need to wait that additional 2 hours before eating. Luckily there is a preset timer to help counter that little con. Also, we would like to mention that this rice cooker is very expensive and should only be considered if folks plan on using it often. Full Zojirushi NP-HTC10 Review
- Zojirushi NS-ZCC10 – Another great model to consider (and not as expensive) is the NS-ZCC10 cooker from Zojirushi.Now while it is not the absolute best brown rice cooker available for preparing brown rice, it does do a very good job at doing so, and can have a bowl ready in about 1 1/2 hours. The keep warm mode holds the rice at a ready to eat temperature until folks are ready to serve, and the sealed lid maintains moisture and prevents boil over when cooking.
Like the above NP-HTC10 model this cooker uses Fuzzy Logic technology that monitors how the rice is cooking making adjustments in both cooking time and temperature during the process. However, it does not offer a “GABA” setting for cooking brown rice. A great rice cooker to have when cooking more than just plain old white rice! Full Zojirushi NS-ZCC10 Review
- Sanyo ECJ-HC55S – Third on our list, and one we recommend with confidence is the Sanyo ECJ-HC55S 5.5 cup rice cooker, (HC100S larger 10 Cup model).This moderately-priced appliance makes very good quality white rice, and also acts as a great brown rice cooker as well, cooking brown rice around the same time it takes the above NS-ZCC10 Zojirushi rice cooker.
However, a good reason to consider this model over all the Zojirushi models on this page is the fact that this machine offers folks a neat little slow cooking benefit as well! The unit comes with an extra bowl for doing so, has both high and low slow cooking settings, and performs just as well as any old Crock Pot making hearty delicious meals.
Granted the bowl size on the small ECJ-HC55S is only good for two people at best, it is still a feature that makes this rice cooker worth checking out. Full Sanyo ECJ-HC55S Review
- Panasonic SR-MS102 – Although still quite new at the time of this writing with little to offer on customer feedback is this Panasonic model.Now from what we were able to gather so far, this rice cooker has received some good reviews and like the Sanyo offers that slow cooking benefits that we love.
The rice cooker has a specific setting for cooking brown rice, along with specific measuring instructions…but does have that drawback of taking almost 2 hours to do so, (common with all of the micro-computerized cookers on this page). However, once finished the quality of the brown rice is very good with a nice fluffy texture, and subtle nutty flavor. Definitely an improvement over lesser rapid-boil style cookers! Full Panasonic SR-MS102 Review
- Zojirushi NSLAC05 – Traveling back to Zojirushi comes this small 3 cup brown rice cooker.Being the perfect size for single chefs or couples, this rice cooker is one of the best out there for cooking either white or brown rice, and although a little pricey for the cup capacity, it receives many positive consumer feedback on both Amazon and eBay customer reviews as well as on other consumer opinion sites.
The rice cooker uses Fuzzy Logic technology, is easy to use and clean, and fits perfectly on small counter tops. A great model by Zojirushi offering fool proof cooking and consistent rice dishes. Full Zojirushi NS-LAC05 Review
We will update this brown rice cooker information page as new models become available as well as updates on the above units concerning performance, rice quality, along with pros & cons.
Please browse through the Navbar to discover other fine units.